PLASTICS ARE NOT SAFE TO BE USED FOR HEATING UP FOOD IN DIRECT CONTACT.
For the past 2 months, I have spent some time to read about cookware materials due to my concerns of plastic cookwares.
Unfortunately what my mum warned me since childhood that plastic is not safe to get in touch with our food, especially hot food or during heating, is still a concern after decades of technology advancement.
I called up a friend, who is a Chemical engineer to enquire about how safe is plastic material being used as cookware.
She made a very simple layman explanation to me, that plastics are simply chains of like molecules linked together, namely polymers. This is why many plastics begin with “poly,” such as polyethylene, polystyrene, and polypropylene.
Polymers often are made of carbon and hydrogen and sometimes oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, chlorine, fluorine, phosphorous, or silicon. The term “plastics” encompasses all these various polymers.
Then I raised a question that there are plastics that called themselves "high quality" plastics that fit to be used in the hospital for cancer patients. Is that such a thing? She told me to do more reading about the use of plastic wares from cancer patients perspectives. I did, the answer is negative.
Because plastics are polymers. They are a combination of materials. While certain types of materials can withstand higher heat, there are other materials in plastic that has lower melting point. In short, plastic is NOT a stable chain of molecules. We have no idea when some of the plastics melt into our food during heating.
Some plastic cookwares emphasized that they are BPA-free. BPA-free does not mean the plastic is safe to contact directly with our food, especially during heating. Read more about BPA-free on National Geographic.
There are plastic cookwares that need to be kept away from exposure to sunlight, at least this is how we taught in order to prolong the life span of the plastic cookwares. If we expose the plastic cookwares to sunlights, chances are the cookwares face decay very soon. For a cookware that will decay due to heat from sunlight, will that be safe for use to cook? NO.
If you care about your family's health, avoid plastic cookwares by all means. If you have any cooking gadget that contains plastic accessories, please avoid to use it during heating up of food, so that whatever plastics that melted will not get into your body through food intake.
I am making a change of my cookwares at home, if you care about health, please do more readings and make a wise choice. Health is wealth.