Recipe by Pei Shuen
Now it is made easy for your attempt at home, have fun!!
Pork belly 五花肉 1000g
Star anise 八角 2pcs
Spring onion 葱 200g
Old ginger 老姜 100g
Rock sugar 冰糖 160g
Shao xing wine 绍酒 600g
Premium white wine 上等白葡萄酒 400g
Soy sauce 生抽 130g
Dark soy sauce 老抽 40g
1. Clean pork belly.
2. Fill pot with water, enough to cover pork belly.
3. Add star anise, spring onion, old ginger and 2 tblsp of Shao Xing wine, bring the water to boil.
4. Let blanch for 15 minutes.
5. Take pork belly out for iced water bath.
6. Double check to remove hairs on the skin.
7. Cut into squares of desired size, gift wrap with dumpling strings.
1. Fill pot with ingredient 6-9.
2. Place pork belly squares, spring onion, old ginger and rock sugar into simmering basket.
3. Set 60min/ 120°C/ Sp3.5
4. Turn pork belly squares upside down, set 50min/ 100°C/ Sp3.5
5. Plate the pork belly, serve with gravy.
1. Do not replace wine with water.
2. For more intense skin colour, caramelize rock sugar. This is an optional step.
3. Gravy can be prepared in two ways, by reduction or by thickening with starch water.
4. For preparing pork belly with clay pot, recommended cooking time is 3 hours, with final 1-1/2 hour steaming.
5. This recipe has been tested meticulously with different ingredients and seasonings to optimise its flavour. Just for your reference, I use Massena fruit salad field blend (white wine), LKK Premium light soy sauce and LKK Selected dark soy sauce.
For anyone concerning food safety on cooking in plastic materials, read more here.